Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Star Trek




I had the pleasure of watching the new star trek movie last night. I don't know much about the original TV series with William Shatner but fortunately this movie didn't need the background knowledge to be entertaining (although it might have been more enjoyable if I was a fan of the original). I just realized Shatner's Captain Kirk was the inspiration for Captain Brannigan from Futurama, the  TV animation show I LOVE. I knew most of the characters in Futurama are based on cultural icons and stereotypes, but it was great to find a direct link.
Star Trek movie didn't wow me with a clever story line or the special effects although they were pretty good (in this day and age, you have to be extraordinary to wow the viewer with special effects) but what engaged me to this movie was the actors who played their characters with such earnest conviction, even the campiest and the most unrealistic moments became touching and exciting. Props to J J Abrams for rebooting the dying franchise with a charming group of young actors and the modern sensibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment