Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Asterios Polyp




I've just finished reading David Mazzucchelli's Asterios Polyp. Although I haven't been reading a lot of comics lately, I feel this one is a very special piece of work. This book walks in the thin lines between many boundaries. The story seems pretty simple yet complex, the art looks clean and simplified, almost like signs yet there is so much thought behind how they are designed. I love every aspect of this book. David Mazzucchelli was one of my professors at RISD and I wasn't so familiar with his work at the time. He's well known for more main stream comic series like Batman and Daredevil. I've never read american super hero comics when I was young and I couldn't get into them when I grew up even though I was around many people who know a lot about this genre. But now I want to check out his older stuff just to get a glimpse of his talent. Comic books like Asterios Polyp make me want to keep on drawing comics. It shows how intelligent and complete media comics can be, even more than movies. Simply by laying  lines, colors, and words on a paper, comics compact so much information and tell a story in a personal way for each readers. Asterios Polyp is one of the finest examples of how it could be done. 

Here's an interesting article on David Mazzucchelli and his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment