Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Moon



Moon is a sci-fi movie directed by Duncan Jones, starring Sam Rockwell. If you like Sam Rockwell, this is the movie for you. It's basically a one man show with one other character which is a computer voiced by Kevin Spacey. I first heard about this movie from a movie reviewing podcast called filmspotting.  They were raving about this movie and it perked up my curiosity. And I wasn't disappointed after watching it. Moon reminds me of one of my favorite sci-fi movies Solaris. It could be viewed as mystery/ thriller, but It also deals with more internal issues of one's identity/ destiny and loneliness. This movie is pretty low budgeted and you can see it in the moon exploration scenes, but I kinda like it that way, it gives a nostalgic mood of old 70's sci-fi movies and also makes me focus more on the characters rather than the flash visual effects. I've never watched Sam Rockwell in movies before and I was really impressed with his performance in this movie. Without giving too much away, he plays two different versions of the same character and it is chilling to see how different someone can turn out in different circumstances. I loved how the story ended too, I was content to see the credit roll. I'm excited to see what this director and actor will come out with in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I love this movie. I took Rob to see it a few weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete