Monday, September 28, 2009

SPX, Bolzano Comics and More!

Melissa DeJesus, Hwan Cho and I had a great time at SPX last weekend. We brought our fresh off the copy machine comic anthology "Through the Meadow" and traded with various artists and publishers at the con. It felt great to finally have collaborated with my good friends after all these years of talking about it. It was a miracle that we actually finished it on time, especially with our crazy schedules and gmail not working on thursday, we were seriously working till the very last minute to finish this little anthology. But I am very happy with how it turned out and hopefully we'll be able to add more to it and print it in a nicer quality for the next convention. Here's a sneak pick on my comic for this anthology.
It was great to see so many people in little convention, I could feel the enthusiasm and energy coming from the crowd, artists and the publishers. It was a great inspiration for me to work harder and finish all the little project that I started and have them ready by next conventions.  I also attended couple of panels,"critics roundtable" and "source based comics" which gave me a lot of insight on working with pre-exiting stories like novels and history and translating them into comics. I've gotten up to date with many current comics and comic artists through these panels. 

We also found out there's a comic convention in Brooklyn in November called "King Con", which we are planning on getting a table or at least attend it with new comics. Yay to Brookyln!

When I got back from Bethesda last night, I found out that my comic "Muzakwee Comic: 1" is selected to be one of the finalist in Bolzano Comics! This competition is part of the Bolzano short film festival on November in Bolzano, Italy, and they'll be selecting the winner at the end of the festival on November 15th. This film festival looks very interesting, I wish I can go and check it out whether or not I win this competition, but it's in Italy which is too far for me to travel at this moment!  I'm super excited about this since I didn't expect anything when I submitted my comics to this competition. You can check out my web portfolio to read my comic "Muzakwee Comic: 1" and also check out http://www.bolzanocomics.it/ for more info. 

No comments:

Post a Comment