Friday, November 27, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are


I wasn't familiar with the children's book "Where the Wild Things Are", I knew the book existed but never read it as a child. So when I went to see the movie by Spike Jonze on Friday, I had no idea what it would be like. It turned out to be one of the most emotional movie that I've watched this year. This movie seems like a children's movie with cute furry monsters and a boy as the protagonist. But I really don't think it is for children... maybe they would enjoy it as much as adult, but I doubt children would understand the layers of emotions between all the characters without their own experience of going through the adolescence and growing up. This is definitely a very nostalgic movie. It reminded me so much about myself as a child, it wrenched my heart the way I've never felt when watching a movie. The monsters are figments of the boy's imagination, so they all have the traits of the boy himself. But Carol is by far the most similar to the boy, they recognize each other right away and form a tight bond which has to break and then mended for the boy to grow up, leave his fantasy land and go back home to the reality. It's funny but I felt like I went through this amazing adventure with the boy in the movie and came back alive and more grown up at the end. Everyone was a child once, but we feel as though we just became the person we are now automatically. But this movie reminded me that growing up is a hard process of understanding yourself and accepting the reality. The reality is sometimes painful and scary and you wish there would be someone who can make it alright. But sadly, there isn't anyone who can do that, not even your family. Soon you have to accept this reality and be o.k. with the life's uncertainty. I'm making this movie sound like a therapy session, but it was gorgeous, entertaining and very touching, everything a good movie should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment