Monday, May 3, 2010

Fire Bird Ballet Costume Design








Fire Bird is a russian ballet based on russian folk tale with music by Stravinsky. I had a lot of fun designing these costumes for my Costume Design for Performing Art class at FIT. Like in many ballet, there are lots of girls flocking around with a prince who falls in love with one of them and goes on to save her from the evil monsters. This ballet had many monsters and a bird and a evil sorcerer which were a lot of fun to design. There are many versions of this ballet, but the most well know one is the Ballet Russes. There is a movie/ stage versions of this ballet on Youtube which is bit funny in 80's fantasy kind of way, but I think some parts of it very pretty to look at. I especially likes the Ballerina who plays the firebird. Her movements gave me a lot of inspiration for my design of the firebird. I was very inspired by Ivan Bilibin's illustrations, and also by the russian traditional costumes. I kept my designs fairy tale like, using a lot of pretty colors for the prince and princesses. But I wanted to make the monsters look very dark and mystic like the russian old forrest, full of moss and dead leaves.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete