Friday, July 30, 2010

M



First I thought it could be a remake of the Fritz Lang's M, but it isn't. Although it also has dark, sinister mystery feeling to it, this is something I haven't seen before, especially from Korean cinema. The director Lee Myung-se is truly skilled in piecing stories, illusions and dreams together in a very artistic and stylish way. This is the first time I've really noticed the director's hands in editing when watching a film. I've seen Lee Myung-Se's other movie, "the duelist" before, which was visually very sleek and the story was much more light hearted. That movie didn't stay in my mind too long. But I think "M" will stay in my head for a long time, haunting me. Both movies have the same actor playing the lead and he is very good in both. In "M" he plays a writer who is struggling to separate his dreams/ hallucination/memories from the reality. It reminded me a bit of Nolan's "Memento" and "Inception", all dealing with a similar subject. But "M" also has a menacing and creepy quality like Lynch's with the precision of Hitchcock's thrillers. There are many Korean films coming out to the U.S. these days, I don't know how I missed it when this one came to the theater. I wish many people had a chance to see "M", because I think this movie is far better than some of the other well received korean movies out there.




1 comment:

  1. Second time watching it made me think about the movie more. I need to watch more of his movies!

    ReplyDelete